MAR CRUEL (1972)

IMDb

Créditos:
TÍTULO: Bas ya Bahar / فيلم بس يابحر / The Cruel Sea
AÑO: 1972
PAÍS: Kuwait
IDIOMA: Árabe
DIRECTOR: Khalid Al Siddiq
INTÉRPRETES: Mohammed Al-Mansour (Moussaed), Amal Bakr (Nura), Saad Al-Faraj (Abdellah), Hayat El-Fahad (Latifa)
ARGUMENTO: Moussaed quiere dedicarse a bucear en busca de perlas y conseguir así el dinero que necesita para casarse con la mujer que ama. El padre se opone, no desea para su hijo su mismo destino...

Khalid al-Sidick’s independently produced first feature, made after a number of short films, looks at Kuwait’s past, before the explotation of the oil which was to make it rich, and specifically at the struggles of the pearl fishermen against the sea, which is depicted as savage and all-powerful. The film begins and ends with long-held images of the waves, and, throughout, the hardship of the men battling against natural forces is emphasized. Moussaid’s father was crippled both by the sea, which has ruined his eyesight, and a shark, which bit into his shoulder. But the films is also a merciless depiction of a traditional society structured according to wealth rather than merit, in which there is no place for women’s individual wishes or desires. Al-Siddick’s approach is basically realistic (visually more in the manner of Visconti than Rossellini), and some of the strongest sequences have a documentary-style authenticity: the cramped life of the men during their 4-month voyage on board the tiny fishing boat is parallelled by the ceremonies on shore organized collectively by the women - the noisy ritual of a wedding ceremony (where the bride’s desires are of no concern) and a chilling sequence on the beach where a kitten is drowned to ensure the men’s safe return. The narrative set against this background is a simple and conventional one: two young people, Moussaid and Noura, are in love, but they are separated by the social forces which keep her cloistered at home and by the poverty which drives him out to seek his fortune at sea. His efforts lead seemingly inevitably to his death but would in any case have been in vain, since Noura is married against her will in his absence. Her wedding night with a rich, much older merchant is depicted unambigiously as a socially sanctioned rape: her own mother signals to the musicians to play louder, so as to drown out the daughter’s screams. The generation gap is also revealed in Moussaid’s struggle against his father for permission to become a diver (parallelled, al-Siddick tells us, by his own struggle to become a filmmaker against his own father’s wishes).
There was no experience in filmmaking in Kuwait and so I had to finance, produce, direct, write and distribute the film. When the movie was ready, I met several distributors around the Arab world, and everybody turned me down. They wanted stars in the movie. I could have had stars, but I knew that the Kuwaitis would not accept an Egyptian star as a pearl diver. I needed to have real Kuwaitis. When all of them turned down my movie, I played the trick through festivals. I started participating in festivals around the world, and it clicked. Continuously, the film picked up award after award. Two years later, the Arab distributors contacted me, but I told them it was too late. What I also did was I introduced the concept of a director’s movie and not a star’s movie, because in the Arab world even today, movies are star driven.
It was the first movie to be shot underwater ever in Asia. That was the greatest risk I took. In fact, I didn’t know how to do it only till the last minute. Also, I made the film black and white. Commercially speaking, the film should have been in colour, but before oil, I feel, colour didn’t exist. Kuwait and the Gulf was a dull, poor community and the best way to express this would have been in black and white.
Khalid Al Siddiq
La primera película realizada en Kuwait y un hito nunca igualado por esa cinematografía. En palabras de su director, el éxito de la cinta fue su autenticidad. No sólo desde el punto de vista de la línea argumental o el contenido dramático sino por incluir antropología e historia, vida social y vida económica de las gentes, ritos y canciones tradicionales. Nada era superficial. Era una película muy rica.
Por si esto fuera poco, "Mar cruel" critica despiadadamente una sociedad mercantil feudal anclada en sus privilegios, la condición de la mujer y el sometimiento a la religión. Quizá el hombre sea más cruel que el mismo mar...

Este verano, en vez de ir a la playa, me he quemado las pestañas para reconstruir una de las películas más importantes del mundo árabe. El material de partida no era demasiado alentador: Dos copias en VOSI colgadas en YT, incompletas, con texto a menudo ilegible y no sincronizado. Y la VO, ya veis, como un logo es poco, pues con dos. :evil: En fin, la cinta lo merecía, y con paciencia y la inestimable ayuda de HulotD -usuario de KG que amablemente completó lo que yo no pude transcribir-, llegamos a puerto después de superar todas las pruebas a las que nos sometió este Mar Cruel, y con la perla (en forma de VOSE) tan ansiada por el protagonista.

Algunas capturas:
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

Datos técnicos:
Spoiler:
General
UniqueID/String : 229899470526524443411367798574571070709 (0xACF50706DEC33891B6E773BA92A024F5)
Nombre completo : The Cruel Sea (1972).mkv
Formato : Matroska
Formato de la versión : Version 4 / Version 2
Tamaño del archivo : 789MB
Duración : 1h 41min.
Tasa de bits total : 1 083Kbps
Fecha de codificación : UTC 2014-07-09 23:41:24
Aplicación de codifición : mkvmerge v7.0.0 ('Where We Going') 64bit built on Jun 9 2014 15:16:27
Librería de codificación : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1
DURATION : 01:41:49.983000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES : 263135
NUMBER_OF_BYTES : 47046523
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP : mkvmerge v7.0.0 ('Where We Going') 64bit built on Jun 9 2014 15:16:27
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC : 2014-07-09 23:41:24
_STATISTICS_TAGS : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID : 1
Formato : MPEG-4 Visual
Formato del perfil : Simple@L1
Ajustes del formato, BVOP : No
Ajustes del formato, Qpel : No
Ajustes del formato, GMC : No warppoints
Ajustes del formato, Matrix : Default (H.263)
ID Códec : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / DIVX
ID Códec/Info : Project Mayo
ID Códec/Pista : DivX 4
Ancho : 480pixeles
Alto : 360pixeles
Relación de aspecto : 16:9
Modo de velocidad de cuadro : Constante
Velocidad de cuadro : 25,000fps
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8bits
Tipo de exploración : Progresivo
Default : Si
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Formato : AAC
Formato/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Formato del perfil : LC
ID Códec : A_AAC
Canal(es) : 2canales
Posiciones del canal : Front: L R
Velocidad de muestreo : 44,1KHz
Default : Si
Forced : No
Enlaces:

ed2k (VO en árabe)

eD2K link The Cruel Sea (1972).mkv [788.93 Mb] 

Subtítulos en español

eD2K link The Cruel Sea (1972) esp.srt [35.6 Kb] 

Subdivx (español, english)

English subtitles

eD2K link The Cruel Sea (1972) eng.srt [35.4 Kb] 

[ Add all 3 links to your ed2k client ]

Juramentado

Agradecimiento recibido: 1029 veces

Re: Bas ya Bahar (Khalid Al Siddiq, 1972) TVRip VOSE

Mensaje por Juramentado » 23 Ago 2014 10:19

Vamos pinchando pero ya, que tiene buena pinta. Muchas gracias por traernos estas joyitas.

boss0506

Agradecimiento recibido: 674 veces

Mensaje por boss0506 » 23 Ago 2014 11:32

Superinteresante. Muchísimas gracias por tan enorme esfuerzo, Preacher.

Me encantan esos dos logos, son la mar de discretos :mrgreen:

:hi:

mifune

Agradecimiento recibido: 11780 veces

Mensaje por mifune » 23 Ago 2014 11:36

Esta película me suena. muchas gracias. Ahora aprovecha y disfruta de vacaciones. Muy merecidas.

pochutla

Agradecimiento recibido: 18 veces

Mensaje por pochutla » 23 Ago 2014 12:48

Vaya hallazgo! Muchas gracias Preacher! Gran vocación que la tuya...

yojimbo

Agradecimiento recibido: 4113 veces

Mensaje por yojimbo » 23 Ago 2014 12:57

¡Vaya un trabajo más estupendo, PREACHER!

Me bajo únicamente los subtítulos, ya que la película la tengo.

Gracias también a HulotD.

Lobo López

Agradecimiento recibido: 6766 veces
Contactar:

Mensaje por Lobo López » 23 Ago 2014 15:16

¡Muchas gracias por el tremendo trabajo, preacher! Considerada una de las obra maestras del Nuevo Cine Árabe. :aplauso:

jail

Agradecimiento recibido: 1952 veces

Mensaje por jail » 23 Ago 2014 15:49

Gracias, PREACHER.

janca

Agradecimiento recibido: 153 veces

Mensaje por janca » 23 Ago 2014 16:11

Gracias Preacher

garitero

Agradecimiento recibido: 3 veces